Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Crazy Boys!

One of the classes that Liji and I teach consists of 8, 13 year old boys and they are off the wall. You might be thinking, oh that's a small class size. Yes, they are boys but how difficult could it be. But they are literally 8 of the silliest, most hyper, crazy boys you will ever meet. Liji just gets sucked into their crazyness and they have a ball together in his class. For me however it is a bit more difficult. I think I must try too hard to keep them in line and quiet so we can actually have a lesson. Because by the time their class is through I'm usually on the verge of ripping my hair out or just breaking down in hysterical laugher from the things I have just witnessed these boys do. Just to give you a little idea of what an average class with them is like; I will give you a little description. First I have got to get everyone to stop singing and talking long enough to start a lesson. They do well for a few minutes then I've got to yell at someone for standing up on top of their chair or on top of the table for some odd reason; I'm not really sure why they do that. It is mostly 2 of the boys inparticular that do that. We move on and then I've got to tell someone to put their shirt down and stop showing off their chest. I've got to tell Wade to stop banging on his desk like a drum, Jim to stop mauling Alex and practically kissing him; when he then tells me that he loves Alex. (They are not gay, it's just part of the culture to be very touchy, feely.) Then I've got to tell Hunter to get down from standing on his chair again. Tony has got to stop using his dictionary playing a game so I take that away. Then I take away a razor blade from Jeff who is using it to cut and sharpen the plastic case from his pencil lead. Throughout all this I'm also trying to ignore Wade constantly saying to me, "Your, Hot. I love you." I tell someone to get down off their chair about 3 more times and someone to stop singing about 10 times. We finally make it throught the lesson and so I decide we'll have a little fun and play a game. I ask everyone to stand up. That was a bad idea. I now have 8 boys standing up, dancing around the room, singing, and some hugging eachother. Utter chaos. They finally calm down enough so they can listen to my instructions on the game we will be playing. We have fun playing and then, finally, class is over! And I am exhausted. This is no exaggeration! Liji loves having them, but for some reason the schedule always ends up that I am having them a few times a week, when we normally only have the same class about 1 or 2 times a week. I am getting much better at having them and things are starting to go well, so I'm not quite so tired at the end. But man, these boys are definately an experience.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

How Funny! I'd love to see that!

Liji and Christina Waite said...

I don't understand why Christina has such a hard time with my favorite class.

Jonathan and Brittani Bush said...

Sounds like you two have been busy!