Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The best choice?

So from time to time I have wondered whether coming to Korea was the best thing that we could have done right after my graduation as a certified teacher. Could I have found a job in the States? A job with real benefits and in a country where the majority of the people speak the same language that I speak. Well last Sunday the question was answered. When we got to the Korean Ward there was an American sitting in front of us, since we don't see a lot of Americans I was curious as to who it was and why he was in Korea. When he turned around I immediately recognized him as one of my classmates from BYU-Idaho.
I didn't remember his name, but we took at least one class together and graduated at the same time, last April. Turns out he was looking for a job since the time he graduated but did not have any luck. He finally gave up on the real job search and looked for a job overseas. So he has been without a job for almost a year. We got our first paycheck last July, but he has yet to receive a paycheck. The worrisome thing about discovering that Matt (the new English teacher that we met at church) is teaching overseas is that he is the third person from that one class of only 20 students that had to look outside of the US to find a job. A close friend of mine is teaching at an American high school in Shanghai China. We are so glad that we have a job, and that I have been accepted to a Master's Program. We know that we have been directed to be where we are at this time, we have made many friends that we never would have met without coming here, we have no debt and we are in good shape to start school again, we both have gained valuable job experience, and we have definitely come to appreciate the freedoms and opportunities of the good Ol' USA.

3 comments:

paigeejeffnkids said...

I'm so glad that things have worked out for you in Korea and in your return home. I hope your last few months there will be memorable and I know your families will rejoice to have you close again!

Alisa said...

It is so amazing when we step back and recognize God's hands in our lives. You both are amazing!

Becky Rasmussen said...

Christina, you will treasure this experience for years to come. It will be such a great value to you as a teaching candidate in the application process in the future.