Monday, November 16, 2009

Taking the MAT overseas

I was checking my e-mail this morning while Christina was showering when all of a sudden she stuck her head out the door and said, “Liji, update the blog!” After being married to her for more than two years, I have learned to distinguish the difference between her suggestions and her demands, so I got right to work on the update.
Before we came to Korea, I was making arrangements to take the MAT, a grad school entrance exam, but because we decided to come to Korea in such a short amount of time, I never had a chance to take the test. That is causing me problems now because I want to start a grad program a month or two after we return home, but I can’t apply without a test score.
I looked online to see if it were possible for me to take the test overseas. I found out that the nearest testing centers to Gunsan, South Korea are in Shanghi, China, or Tokyo, Japan. While I would love to visit either of those cities, our work schedule does not allow us time to do so. I e-mailed the testing company, Pearson, to see if there were any other arrangements that I could make. It turns out there are. All I have to do is find someone who has a Master’s degree in education, has experience proctoring standardized tests, speaks English fluently, and is willing to take time out of their schedule to proctor the exam for me. Let’s see, I live in a smallish South Korean city, there is no “American” school anywhere nearby, and I work from 2pm to 9pm, so if I want to find someone with those qualifications, I have to do it on a Saturday or Sunday.
Well, it turned out that finding someone was a lot easier than I expected. A friend that we made on the Airbase has all of the needed qualifications, and to top it off, through his job (he’s a psychologist) he administers tests from Pearson on a regular basis. I have had to write a letter stating my circumstances, and Steve (my proctor) has had to write a letter saying that he will be my proctor, and send a resume of his experience, and I still have to pay the fee, but it looks like everything will work out.
Hopefully, I will be able to take the test the last week of November or the first week of December. Then I have to apply to grad school. Since we have been here, I have been thinking more and more that teaching English as a second language is more fun than teaching high school Social Studies. So I have been looking into master’s programs along those lines. I found a program at Utah State University that seems to be what I want. It is called a Master’s in Second Language Teaching (MSLT) so it will better qualify me to teach Spanish as a second language, or English as a second language. In that program, there is a possibility that I could be selected to be a Grad Instructor to teach international students who come to USU English.
We think that it would be a good program for us because I can finish it in less than a year and a half. Christina is excited about the prospect of being closer to her family and Logan is a small enough “city” that I will be able to feel that I’m not completely cut off from the outdoors. Of course all of this is just speculation, I have not even take the MAT yet, and after I do, I still have to be accepted to the program. But it is something that we are interested in.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Good luck with that Liji! We would love to have you guys closer.

Tara said...

Wow sounds like you're really on top of things. Seriously getting into grad school is crazy, but, my experience is that if it's supposed to happed and you're willing to put for the effort it all works out (look at me being almost done...who would have thought:))
Ps...I love the fall pics you both looks so cute and preppy!

Liji and Christina Waite said...

Oh no, Tara you should have seen the look on Liji's face when he read the word "preppy." Now you've done it, he's never gonna wear a sweater again. LOL