Wednesday, January 27, 2010

New Investigators, New Students, and New Toy

So Friday of last week Liji and I went with the missionaries to meet with a new family that they had been referred to by the family that we met with the week before, and I am so excited about this new family.(And it's not just because I found out that they are big skiers and snowboarders) They really are a great family. The oldest son is 20(Korean Age, 18 or 19 American age) His name is In Yu. He is just about to graduate from High School and will be heading to a University in Seoul, in March. He speaks English very well. I would say he is fluent. He came with the Elders to our family home evening at the Air Base last night and I'm pretty sure he understood most everything. He has a younger sister who is 19 and she speaks English pretty well also, though not quite as fluently as her brother. Her name is Pi Nah and she is already a great Korean Hostess. Both of them go to High School Boarding Schools that are a few hours away from their home so they are usually only home on the weekends. It is pretty common for High School students to go to Boarding Schools like this from what we have heard from our own students, especially the really smart and dedicated students. At these boarding schools they must study until 10:00 at night. I don't know how they do it. But right now they are on Winter Vacation so they are home during the week. Last night I did find out from In Yu that him and his family are big skiers and snowboarders, which I am really excited about. I have been trying to figure out how I can go skiing while I am here. There is a pretty famous ski resort only about an hour from us, but I've been asking around and nobody has been able to tell me how we can get there on public transportation. In Yu told me there is a bus that goes to the ski resort every morning at 6 and that we can go together sometime, so now I'm really excited. Liji's not so much because it is pretty expensive to buy passes; it's worth it to me to be able to go skiing in Korea, but not as much to Liji who doesn't have quite the passion for it that I do. But he's still willing to go for me. It's gonna be Great!
Saturday Liji and I went out on the field to try out the new boomarang that we got in Australia and it ended up working pretty good, besides the time that Liji almost wacked to ladies walking by. We got it so it would come around and come back to us and Liji caught it a couple of times, but didn't like to because he said it really hurt. We also went shopping at Lotte Mart and I finally talked Liji into getting a huge carton of ice cream that was on sale. It's usually pretty expensive. I wanted to get the all chocolate one but decided on this one so that Liji would get to have a treat eating it too, since he doesn't like chocolate. I was really only getting this one for the chocolate part and was so, so , so looking forward to diving into it when we got home. So much so that I had to open up the carton to look at it when we were in the elevator on the way home. When I opened it up all you could see was strawberry and I was a little worried but Liji said he was sure that they must just layer the different flavors differently than we do and that the vanilla and chocolate were on the bottom. That put me at ease a little bit until we could get up to our apartment and inside. Well, I opened that thing up and dug and dug on both sides and what did I find? No chocolate! It is all strawberry. Man, I was sooooo bummed, and so mad at the false advertisement. I was sooo looking forward to chocolate ice cream. So much for relying on the pictures over here anymore. Of course I will still eat the ice cream, I mean it's ice cream, but strawberry just doesn't quite hit the spot for me. Total Bummer of deal right? Liji thought I was being way too dramatic and then laughed and laughed at the carton after I was done with me search for chocolate, so he just had to take a picture. I don't think it's that funny, I only looked on the 2 corners.


Sunday I found out that we are going to be getting a third sister in the Air Base Ward in a couple of weeks so I guess that is now enough women to start up an official Relief Society and I was called to be the President. It should be good practice for me and not too much work with only 2 sisters to look after for now. President doesn't want me to set anything else up because he doesn't want me to feel to overwhelmed; I still have to teach Sunday School and play the piano in Sacrament Meeting. He just wanted to call me so that he can have a women to send the other women to that need someone to talk to and stuff like that. Not too hard if you ask me and I think it should be fun. I'm especially excited about having a new sister.

Here's Katie just taking it easy in Mr. Waite's chair.
Below are some pictures of our newest and youngest student so far. Her older brother vin is in one of our other classes. She is only about 5 or 6 and super cute. I named her Nina, for her English name. I just had to get some pictures of her when she was wearing this cute outfit and her hair in french braids, ADORABLE outfit as Liji would say. That's right Liji used the word ADORABLE. I never thought in a million years I would hear him say that word, and it was so cute when he did. I had just taken some pictures of Nina and was about to start our tutoring session when Liji walked into ask me something and then looked down at Nina and said, "Why, isn't she just ADORABLE!" and that she is. We have to spend an hour teacher her everyday; her attention span is very limited and she barely knows her ABC's, but she is so much fun. She is so easy-going, laughs at anything and everything we do, and has a smile to die for!



1 comment:

Mandy said...

Oh man! I'm sorry about the chocolate ice cream! I would be SO disappointed just like you were.