Sunday, October 25, 2009

Mostly just being sick: not too exciting:(

Sorry for the long delay in posting. I also wanted to thank all of you who leave comments. It makes me more apt to write often when I feel that people are actually reading and enjoying. I’m afraid this posting is not going to be that exciting though. The last couple weeks have not been that great because I have been fighting sickness. It started about a week and a half ago, Wednesday. I got a low fever 99’s and that stayed around for the weekend along with a really bad headache. At times the worst I have ever experienced. And a really bad, deep chest cough. I still went to work, though I don’t know how much good I did for the students. I tried to do a lot of personal activities where I didn’t have to do much talking. Liji felt bad on Thursday as well, but it didn’t stick around as long. I had committed to teach at another friends academy on Saturday before I knew I would be sick. So Saturday afternoon I put on a puppet show/ story time for 2 hours. Luckily my cough didn’t act up too badly and I was able to give out enough energy to make it exciting and fun for the kids and make it through those very long two hours. Liji picked me up from there and we went over to the air base because we had already put together to have a BBQ with a bunch of people there. I thought that I would be alright going but my headache ended up hitting an all-time high that night and I just layed on the couch in a back room of where we were cooking on this couch and missing most of the fun. Liji was nice enough to have Liza get me some medicine and I was able to feel well enough to eat the delicious food that everyone prepared. Steve had BBQ’d up some ribs and chicken. Others brought great side dishes. It’s always nice to get some American food. I just wish I had felt better that night. Liji was in heaven with all the meat he has been craving so badly. Sunday we had our regular meetings at the Air Base. We didn’t go to the Korean ward because I was too sick to handle that many hours of church. I thought about going to the doctors on Monday but decided I thought I was getting better so I just went to work. Tuesday after a lot of prodding and worry of my parents I called our boss and she met us at the doctors where they checked me all out. The flu test came back positive so then we were worried it was the swine flu and I had to go over to a bigger hospital to get a test for that but the results wouldn’t come back for 4 days so I just had to wait. They also loaded me up on medicine. At first my principle still wanted me to work but then a mom of one of the students who happened to be a nurse called my principle and she didn’t think that she should risk having me there without knowing for sure I didn’t have the swine flu. So she sent me home and I didn’t have to work that day or the next. Poor Liji, because if I stay home that means he gets all my classes added to his and he has double to load. But he was so kind to me and handled it like a trooper. That night after coming home from work I took my first dose of the many pills that I was given to take. I have had a history of getting sick when I take strong medicine so I made sure that I ate just before, but I didn’t wait long enough before then taking the medicine and an hour later I ended up just throwing everything up. So gross I know. I wish I could hold down medicine better. So after that I just took the medicine that I knew I could handle and things went much better. Thursday and Friday I did go back to work and was feeling much better, though not myself. Yesterday, Saturday, we took a group of 9 of our friends on a hike up to the waterfall that Liji and I had found 3 weeks prior. It was fun to spend a day outside after being cooped up for so long. The weather was sunny and nice. The leaves have started to change and it was really pretty. We were hoping that there would have been a little bit more of a change than what there was, we went a little too early so we will have to plan another trip to the mountains in a couple weeks when all of the leaves have changed. I can’t wait. It will be beautiful. I love the Fall time and it has been such a beautiful time here in Korea. A few nights have gotten cold, but it has mostly just been perfect weather so far. They don’t get there first snow until about December so we still have a little while yet until the real cold hits.

2 comments:

Alisa said...

I am glad you're feeling better! Did you ever hear back from the test? Thanks for posting - I love reading your adventures! I was telling Dan that once he starts working we should look into coming for a visit. Probably dreaming but he said yes that would be fun. So if you ever hear about good ticket prices let us know!

Mandy said...

I am glad you are feeling better, too. That doesn't sound fun at all. We love you.