Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Being a Celebrity

Since being here in Korea I feel as though I'm sort of a celebrity. Everywhere we go people are staring. Liji and I like to go to a school field across the street from us to play frisbee together. Well it's funny because we'll look over at the school and there is all these heads poking out the window watching us and chatting about us. So we wave and that gets them so excited. Many of the older men that we pass on the streets seem so excited to try and talk to us in English, even though they may only know 3 words. They are seriously so excited. They say "Hi, Hello, OK!" it's so funny.
I've always said that my hair is stawberry blonde, or I just say red. Well no one here seems to know what my hair color is. Many adults and kids have asked me what I call my hair color. They all think that it is either blonde or brown; kind of funny. They just don't really have any red heads over here. So now that they've gotten more comfortable with me one little girl got brave enough to start playing with my hair. Then all the other 10 and 11 year old girls in my first class saw her, so now they all want to play with my hair. They are like so fascinated by it. Yesterday about 15 minutes before my first class I had about 5 kids in my office surrounding my chair braiding and playing with my hair. I loved it; it felt great. They ended up styling it in two braids that were then tied together at the bottom. It was so good I left it in all day. I wanted to get a picture of the style but we didn't have our camera, sorry. Maybe later.
The kids are also really fascinated by my green eyes. During class one will just be staring up at me and then when I ask them what they are looking at they are like: "your eyes, what color?" It's so funny.

2 comments:

Jonathan and Brittani Bush said...

I can't believe you guys have been gone for 2 months already! Time flys by so fast and it looks and sounds like you two are having a blast. Jonathan envies you with his heart and soul for being able to travel to a "distant" land. LOl. We miss you guys lots.

Alisa said...

You do have beautiful hair!